Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Little Things

Sunday in Relief Society the teacher began with an object lesson. She had a jar full of rocks that included doing what I'll call "spiritual tasks" things such as praying, reading scripture and holding family home evening.


The other jar had lentils/rice that were like all of the little things we need or should accomplish in a day to day basis such as laundry, dishes, well you get the idea. She went on to basically explain that if we tend to the spiritual tasks first that all of our day to day things will go smoother and that the little things won't take the place of the more important things.

Object lessons for me are often influential. First things first. Since that lesson I have been trying my best to re-prioritize my time and not let the little things aka the repetitive household task take the place of more important spiritual tasks. For example, I am an avid reader however I was not finding or rather making the time to read my scriptures. Now I have to read my scriptures prior to looking at any other magazine or book and it has been amazing to me the difference this change has made for me in just three days. I find myself able to accomplish more that before (hello, I even cleaned my oven!) and in addition I am calmer.

So, take an inventory on what's important to you...make a change and you'll be surprised at what you can do!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

this is so true! first things first!