Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Rose Bowl, Resolutions and a Recipe

We started out the New Year with another victory for the Trojans!

On New Years Eve Eve our friends made up some goals for us, here are a few of their suggestions for us:
1. Have twins--what?!
2. Enter a Dance Dance Revolution Competition (keep in mind that we don't have and aren't good at DDR)
3. Learn "It's a Hard Knock Life" dance from Annie and perform in ward talent show...we'll be sure to get right on that.
4. Become ultimate Nascar fans and get a car to park on your lawn like our neighbor (they moved, thank goodness)

Thanks to the Ashby's , Perryman's and Mortimer's thoughtful suggestions it got me thinking. I haven't made resolutions for about four years so I decided 2008 was a good year make some goals and share them so that I'll actually take the initiative to follow through.

My "real" goals include:
Spiritual
* Read the Book of Mormon in 4 months with our wards Relief Society
Personal
* Start an R.N. program and make good grades
Financial
* Deposit money into our IRA's
* Start a missionary/college account for Carson and future children
Physical
* Exercise 3 days a week for at least 30 minutes (housework doesn't count!)

Today, after the game we had these amazing mouthwatering ribs. They were so good that I thought I would share with you the recipe so that you can try them for yourselves.

3-4 lbs Pork Spare Ribs (makes 2-3 servings but we cooked more and the sauce amount was enough)
1 C. Maple Syrup-the real stuff
1/3 C. Soy Sauce
3Tbs. Sweet Cooking Wine (Kikkoman Aj Mirin, found at Raley's)
1Tbs. Garlic Powder
2tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Sugar
Bring ribs and water to a boil and cover in a large dutch oven, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
Place ribs in a slightly greased 13x9 pan.
Stir together syrup and other 5 ingredients and our over ribs
Bake @ 325 for 1 hour
When done baking, pour sauce out of 13x9 into a saucepan and thicken with corn starch. Then pour sauce over ribs and enjoy!

5 comments:

April said...

You guys are so cute! I love seeing all your pics! Sounds like you had fun this past week. :)

Leslie said...

I still think that you should learn to love Nascar...cars, speed, rednecks - who could ask for more!!!

Liz said...

I've always been really good about writing down resolutions. I just hardly ever follow through with them long-term.
I have Annie if you need to borrow it to learn your dance. I'm even willing to come over and help you with it.

Liz said...

That rib recipe sounds really good. I'm going to have to try it out.

Anonymous said...

Liz, I wouldn't mind learning the dance but there is no way that I'll perform it at a talent show, NO WAY!