Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Doctor, doctor

Last night at dinner we were talking to Carson (encouraging him to eat) and we told him that he was going to go to the doctor in the monrning and that he needed to eat his food so that he would become big and strong. He was interested so I elaborated on what would take place.

I told him that the nurse was going to measure him to see how tall he was and how big his hed was, the nurse would also see how much he weighed. I then explained that the doctor would come in and look into his eyes, ears, mouth and listen to his heart and breathing. When I mentioned his mouth, he opened wide, stuck out his tongue and said, "aahh!" When I mentioned that the doctor would be listening to his heart he put both hands on his chest and started rhythmically beating his hands on his chest, like a heart beat while saying, "dub-dub, dub-dub" for the heart sounds, "lub-dub, lub-dub." Andrew and I just looked at each other in surprise, this kid is smart!

The appointment was as expected, Carson weighs 23lb. putting him in the 2 percentile and 34.5 inches tall. The doctor still wants him to gain weight-duh! We were instructed to keep a food journal and increase his milk intake. He also sent us to the lab to have blood drawn just to check his kidneys and digestive system...we haven't heard any results but I'm confident that he's fine. Both Andrew as well as my side of the family are generally small people, he is going to be small, it's called genetics! Anyways, he didn't cry when they drew blood but he was rewarded with a happy meal none the less.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Your little guy is such a smarty! I can't believe he did so well when they drew his blood - I still get squirmish with it.